Monday, July 5, 2010

First Entry

Hi all,
My name is Darryn Roche and this is my first ever attempt at writting a blog. I came into todays lesson thinking that I knew a bit about computers and how to use them. How mistaken was I. I know that I have alot to learn and am really excited about the challenge ahead for me. I have to admit that I was one of those aspiring teachers that thought that the use of ICT's was not very important in teaching but from having Wendy in senior phase I have realised that it is an important part of the overall structure in teaching. I still am of the opinion that it can be used a little too much and that a balance between ICT's and traditional teaching needs to be used.

This week in Managing Elearning we looked at a number of things that I found very useful for future use. Firstly we looked at Blogs (www.blogger.com) and I have now found out how to use a blog and can see the benifits of using one in the classrrom. I believe that it would be a great tool to use in lessons especially for reflections at home. Blogs are easy to use and can provide students with quick access to information from other students and teachers (this is particulary usefull when students are doing group work, thay can collaberate from home as well as at school, with out the need to meet in person).

This week we also looked at making a wiki (www.wikispaces.com) and this was interesting. I can see the benifit of using a wiki in the classroom. An easy way for students to look at the lesson that has been taught as well as a place that the students can edit information.

We also looked at concept/mind maps (www.bubbl.us. & www.text2map.com) and how to use them. This was the first time that I have been taught how to use them and I am glad that I now know. They are a great tool for using in the classroom and as Wendy showed us in real life as well.

Probably the best thing that I learnt this week was the online bookmarking page that we used (www.delicious.com). I thought this was really useful as it allows people to save a bookmark and then retrieve it anywhere they are. This will be a valuable tool for me and I will definately be using this in my classroom.

We finished the class by looking at the use of some tools such as Google maps and power point and some interesting ways to use them. This showed me that there are many different uses for ICT's than they were originally designed for. I am looking forward to next week.

Darryn

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your knowledge of ICTs, if you continue to experiment, prod-and-pry to see what happens, and otherwise tinker with things to see what you get, you'll do fine. I fully agree with your point that ICTs can be used too much. But is it too much because teachers don't know how to integrate it into the learning process (through lack of skills/training?), and instead just get by 'using' technology in the classroom? And you need to know when technology simply won't help in a lesson, which I think some teachers also don't always understand. Keep working on those ICT skills, and see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Darryn,

    I'm deffinitely one the same page with you the bookmarking page (delicious.com). I remember Wendy talking about it in the LM1 back at the start of uni and failed to see the potential for effectiveness for the idea. Though now having experienced the site and thought about the opportunities for both my studies and beyond into the classroom, I will be endeavouring to use it. I find it simplifies bookmarking and gives that ease of access as well.

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete